Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung model LN46B500p3f tv. It turns itself off

Customer Question

I have a Samsung model LN46B500p3f tv. It turns itself off and when I try to turn it back on it tries to come back on again but then it will not turn on but eventually turns itself back off. If I leave the tv unplugged overnight, it will generally turn back on and work correctly for maybe a few hours or maybe work correctly for several days.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It is a Samsung Model LN46B500P3F tv and yes turning itself off and then not being able to get it to turn back on so a picture will show has been a problem several times in the past.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have had the cable company out 3 times now and they tell me that their equipment if working fine. I have had it into the tv repair shop 3 times now and they tell me that it works fine for them and they can not get it to shut itself off.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no I just want to know what I can do to fix this problem with this tv and if I do fix it if this will solve the problem I am having now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Sorry you are having problems , when the set goes off or when it wont start, what is the status of the power-light on the front of the set please?is it lit?blinking?also what color is it?let me know so I can better understand your issue thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the power light on the front comes on as red and it acts like the tv is trying to come on but then the red light goes off it shuts itself off right away
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been told by the tv repariman that it could be the power supply or the main board

No its not likely to be the power-board actually but we will need to have a look at the capacitors on the power-board as these can show physical signs of stress can you do this?I will provide more info

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there?

Please give me time to think and write up the text thanks

Are you there?

You haven't replied back as yet so I just want you to understand what happens here, ultimately you will more than likely be replacing a plug in board now depending on some visual checks I want you to make a decision is made as to what board is going to be replaced, this is rather like swapping a board in a computer its no big task you just need to have some degree of practicality