Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have a new Panasonic tv tx-40cx400b which has been set up

Customer Question

We have a new Panasonic tv tx-40cx400b which has been set up by a TVs expert.
It stays on for a few seconds and then switches off and the TVs and digi box go to stand by this happens with every digi box he has tried. We bought it at Currys in Oxford but we live in South West France.
Have you any suggestions please?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand these symptoms are not within normal operation of the set and actually indicate a premature hardware fault in the set (even though I realize the TV is brand new).

The solution ultimately here is to return the set for an exchange if possible, and if not- it will require warranty repairs through Panasonic as there is an out of spec component causing the set to cycle itself off.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally and stays on. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Beyond those steps above, this indicates a hardware failure in the set, and there are no pushbutton fixes for this. The TV will NEVER shut itself off within any normal operational mode. Given that, if the reboot above does not work then the TV should be exchanged through the retailer, or if that is simply not possible then Panasonic would need to be contacted to setup a repair ticket on the set.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi have tried what you suggested but same result comes on for about 20 seconds then goes off
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, there isn't any way to force the set to stay on- if it's shutting off it's because the TV is faulty, components are not staying stable while the set is on and are causing ti to shut down.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

You would need to contact Panasonic along with proof of purchase of the set and have it repaired by them I'm afraid. Your most common culprit for this issue is a premature failure of the power supply board:

http://www.panasonic.com/fr/consumer/centres-de-reparations.html

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We bought the set in England at Christmas but have just moved in to our house in France so ony just tried the TV.
How do we go about getting a repair ticket
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Use the link above to contact a Panasonic France service center.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Or you can contact the Panasonic England help line (LINK below) and have them transfer you over to the French repair servicers:

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/contact-us.html

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.