Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

A Vizio M3D650v 4yrs old. Recently began to randomly to

Customer Question

A Vizio M3D650v 4yrs old. Recently began to randomly to power down. Yesterday on at3pm lost power 4:10 pm. Again at 5:20pm. Again at 6:05pm. Comcast cable. No problems w/other tvs (3).
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Please elaborate what you mean by "power down"- does the power light change as if the set were off? Or does the power light stay as if the set were ON but you lose picture and sound please?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Let me know when you can see my reply .

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It loses power. I have to press the on/off button.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately this isn't related to your cable in any way (a cable box cannot cause a TV to shut down). This would be indicative of a hardware failure occurring. There are components on the power supply board that are prone to prematurely drifting out of spec and causing this issue. That said- there are no pushbutton fixes for this and the "fix" is to replace the power board ultimately as the problem will get worse and worse until the set no longer powers up. If this is something you're looking to do yourself, let me know and I will search for the power supply board. Alternatively a shop will generally charge $225 parts and labor for this type of repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. The set shutting itself down is due to a component that is thermally going out of spec and causing an SOS that the TV senses and then powers itself down. If you want to try to repair this yourself, the power board (available below) is "plug and play"- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-0500-0507-0920-power-supply-unit.htm

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.