Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My 50 tv purchased December 2015 has developed a dark square

Customer Question

My 50 tv purchased December 2015 has developed a dark square in the lower left quadrant on the screen. Can this be corrected?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does this happen on all sources/inputs?
If you bring up the vizio on screen menu or input screens, is that obscured by the dark area too, or does the menu show in front of it?

How large is this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
all inputs and sources. The condition is more of a shadow taken up about one third of the screen. The menu does seem to show in front.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

So the menu is full brightness and color, with the dark area behind it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that seems to be the case
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for a vizio product, even for a tv less than a year old.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Based on the purchase date, you should be within the vizio warranty period though, and they would cover the cost of repairs. You'll have to take it in to the closest repair facility, after they authorize a warranty claim (call(###) ###-####.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Bob?