Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung TV Just went blank. There is sound, but nothing

Customer Question

My Samsung TV Just went blank. There is sound, but nothing else is coming out. It is only around 2 years old.
Do you have any suggestions on how I can have this fixed?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Couple of different causes of this, please reply back with the specific connected below:

1) The full model number off of the back of the TV (if you can access this).

2) What is connected to the TV (cable/SAT box, home theater, DVD, etc.).

3) IMPORTANT: If you grab the ORIGINAL SAMSUNG REMOTE and press MENU- does the TV's MENU display on the screen please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
UN40EH5300F
Cable box connected
The menu is not displaying
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. If the TV's menu is not displaying (and this is a NATIVE function of the TV) then it indicates a hardware failure in the TV- most commonly with the backlight circuit of the set. So when you press power to turn the set on, you don't see the Samsung welcome display either- correct? If not this generally indicates the power supply board has failed.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The problem is not resolved
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still sound but no picture
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Did the Samsung welcome screen display as I asked previously please.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing has changed. The menu is not displaying
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

That is the ONLY thing you can try on a user level if the WELCOME SCREEN is not displaying. If you want to fix the set yourself you will need to swap a board. If you're looking to do this work, then I need to know the following:

1) Are you able to see a DIM shadowy image of the programming behind the screen- yes or no?

2) Is the screen still "backlit"- meaning slightly lighter than if the set were off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well the problem is not resolved. I am the same place when I started.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Or, alternatively- if removing the back of the TV and swapping a board is not within your comfort level (no soldering or special tools are required), then your possible culprits are a premature failure of the LCD controller board, or the power supply board. In this even a shop will typically charge between $200-$250 parts and labor for this repair (there is not a pushbutton fix for this) and can be located at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But the issue is not resolved. Why would I rate the service a3 star? I am not satisfied with the result.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to assist you to your satisfaction today. I'll opt out in hopes another Expert may have another idea for you.