Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Just bought a curved 65" Samsung SUHD. Picture quality isn't

Customer Question

Just bought a curved 65" Samsung SUHD. Picture quality isn't as clear as it should be. Thought it was the tv so store replaced it but same issue. When the rep brought out the new tv he agreed that the picture wasn't as clear as it should be. We are using a new Cinnamon HDMI cord, watching HD channels, and have directv with a new receiver/dvr that was just installed a month ago. Bluray dvds look awesome and streaming too. Thought it might be our satellite signal strength but it's reading in the high 90s. Someone mentioned we might need a 4K box (I assume that's an upgraded receiver) but our neighbor has same tv, same satellite company, with no 4K box and his looks like the tv did in the showroom...crisp! Any ideas??? Thx
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the model number of the tv?
Which hdmi port are you connected to on the tv, and which box do you have?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tv sometimes flashes a notification across the screen saying " input resolution too low..please check source." Doesn't make sense to me if the satellite strength is good. ??
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

This has nothing to do with satellite signal strength.

Signal strength only means what the box is getting from the dish. What the box actually outputs to the tv is entirely different.

Your box may have outdated firmware, or may have some incorrect settings.

You can go into the box menu and make sure that the output format is set to hdtv or 1080i/p (not to 720). If that checks out, then the issue is still the box itself and the signal it is outputting to the tv. The only sure fire way to resolve that and to take full advantage of the features of your new tv is to have the satellite company upgrade you to a new model box that is actually 4k capable.

Even if your box is outputting 1080p (which it isn't, you're getting 1080i at best), that is still only half of what your tv is capable of. The tv is just taking that lower level signal and doubling every line to fill in the spaces, so it is still only a simulated improvement. True 4k picture quality requires 4k signal and content.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?