Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

My tv would not power on from where it was plunged in, but

Customer Question

My tv would not power on from where it was plunged in, but when I plug into a different outlet it power on
JA: Television is better than ever... just as long as it works right. ;-) Do you know the make and model?
Customer: Panasonic viera
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just moving to a different out let and it powered on and all the functions on the remote work
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

- Can you please test the power outlet using something simple like a known working table lamp?

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The power outlet is working
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Please clarify what the problem is, because if the outlet is working it's not clear how the tv could work in another outlet but not on this outlet...

Or are you saying the tv power's on, but you aren't getting a picture or signal from a cable/sat box/dvr???

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The tv had a menu pop up and would not go away so I unplugged it and then plunged it back in and it would not power on. So I moved it to another plug and it powered up. Moved it back where I have my cable and again it would not power on. Moved back out and to another plug and it powered on again
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

When it "won't power on", is the LED on the front coming on? or blinking? or?

What is the model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No it is not coming on or blinking. Model number is *****
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

If you are 100% sure this power outlet is working then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, complex checks need to be performed with a meter, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further (experience needed).

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted but I can tell you that diagnosis, parts, and labor will end up costing just about the same as a new 42" Tv and could take a few weeks to get all sorted.

Unless you can actually do the repairs yourself, I would strongly suggest you use the money you saved by coming here first toward a replacement tv rather than going for a repair.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Let me know how else I can assist you and before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?