Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

While watching a movie about one third of the screen went

Customer Question

while watching a movie about one third of the screen went blank - it covers about 80% of the menu when that is brought up. latter the black part became vertical multi clored? lines covering the same area
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Started last night while watching a movie
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Hi , this is Jack (again)

You don`t happen to have a sony do you ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Your post just showed as a duplicate so i will have one of them closed

Just let me know which one you want to work in

Model number please and check the menu please ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The menu is covered 80% by the black out
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Thank you , please give me a minute to compose my answer

Same thing as earlier with that phone call by the way

Here is what i get , quote " Payment for this premium service has failed, please don't proceed with the service. We will attempt to contact the customer to remedy the situation. "

This usually means your CC company blocked the charges

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Sorry , one more thing ;

The model number if you want an exact figure and part numbers , otherwise i will give you a rough estimate (but close)

Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

O.k then what you have is a defective t-con board , this board will need to be replaced and unless you do it yourself then you are looking at perhaps 250 to $300 done at home by a shop

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
unable to answer the question - program denies my input
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

no worries , got the message