Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

While watching a movie, one third of the screen was blacked

Customer Question

while watching a movie, one third of the screen was blacked out - latter vertical multi colored lines blacked out the same area as before. The Sony is about 7 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , a TV/AUDIO repairman with 40 years experience.
Perhaps i can help you with this , let me know when you are ready to proceed please .

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

If you open the TV's own menu , does it show over or behind those lines ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Sorry but your CC company must have declined the charges for this phone call .

This was an automated offer by the website by the way , not me and we can proceed easily with the chat , just tell me about the menu please

Although i already know what the problem is ,i would like you to confirm it with the menu

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

By the way , the model number would come in handy as well

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k then what you have is a defective t-con board , this board will need to be replaced and unless you do it yourself then you are looking at perhaps 250 to $300 done at home by a shop

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

Your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you