Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have an RCA flat screen with DVD no sound

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Is there no sound on the TV when using the DVD as well please?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know when you're able to see my reply.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

So to elaborate- no sound on DVD, or regular TV programming, yes?

IF SO, what is the model number off of the back of this set?

Also roughly how old is it and when did the problem occur?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
0HD33DYX12
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

That doesn't come up as anything. The Model Number will be on the sticker on the back of the TV.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry L40HD33DYX12
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Thank you, that's it. Can you confirm there is no sound at all either with regular TV programming OR the built in DVD please? If so, this indicates a hardware fault in the set in most cases.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sound dvd or regular tv
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay, this generally indicates a fault on the Mainboard of the set- which is where all of the audio is processed. However its worth trying a hard reboot to see if the processor is simply locked up. Please unplug the set from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release. Then wait a full minute, plug the set back in and press power once. Check for sound and let me know if you have the same problem please.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem please?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

If you're still having the same problem then the Mainboard in the set needs to be replaced to fix the audio. There aren't any pushbutton fixes for this unfortunately. The Mainboard is a "plug and play" component- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to fix this, but the rear of the TV will need to come off. The Mainboard for your set can be purchased at the link below for $60 and change if you are looking to replace this yourself:

http://www.tristatemodule.com/275560-RCA-TV-Module-main-board-40-00S86A-MAE4XG-p/275560.htm

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge close to $175 parts and labor for this repair I'm afraid and a shop can be located at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
same problem
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.