Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

I have an STR-DE197 receiver that I bought in 2008 to use

Customer Question

I have an STR-DE197 receiver that I bought in 2008 to use with a Sony turntable an a Sony CD player.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sony is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Well, actually my question concerns running the sound from a 2014-15 Sony Bravia TV Model KDL-40W600B. Is there any way to run sound from the TV through the STR-DE 197 (purchased in 12/08) to my Sony bookshelf speakers?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried the speaker and audio inputs on the TV, and I've tried hooking red and white RCA cables to the Audio In on the receiver.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, just that I realize that the receiver is an older model, without an HDMI connection. There is also not a corresponding optical connection on the receiver, as shown on page 14 of the TV manual.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 3 months ago.

Have a look on the SIDE of the TV set is there an analog out put there to go to the analog inputs on the receiver?

Let me know I am currently going over the specs for both

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, The side of the TV has an audio jack, which I have used for headphones, two USB ports and an additional HDMI port (the TV has 4 of these altogether).

The only other thing is what looks like a headphone socket to analog inputs on the receiver <<click

Let me know your thoughts about that set up

You see these modern sets are phasing out older technology to couple with so they havent had a party with analog on the TV

Its designed to couple with very latest technology HDMI ARC or optical

Let me know

Other than that you would need boxes to convert down the digital to analog these typically cost $40 or more

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for info supplied, there will be a rating bar at the top of the page consists of stars thank you