Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Have a model M3D650SV TV that when I first turn it on, the

Customer Question

have a model M3D650SV TV that when I first turn it on, the left hand side of the screen remains black and the right hand side of the screen is normal. After it "warms up" the full screen returns. Starting out at a room temperature of 72 degrees, it takes about 10 minutes before getting the full screen. Once it is warmed up, the screen will be normal and if I turn the TV off and then back on within a half hour the screen will be normal.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. These symptoms point to a hardware fault occurring in the TV, and can be caused by one of two things:

1) The T-Con (LCD controller board), which processes the image in two perfect sides- a left and a right half. When this board becomes weak/out of spec, it will cause these symptoms and ultimately need to be replaced.

2) The LCD/LED panel (screen) of the set itself is starting to fail. This is also common with sets nowadays.

That being said there are no adjustments, or settings that will fix this as it is indicative of failing hardware in the set, and will become worse until that side of the screen ultimately never comes on.

Is this something that you're looking to try to repair yourself? If so, the T-con is really the only shot at this, and is generally a $50 board and something you can replace yourself (if you're comfortable removing the back of the TV). Again though, there is no way to test between the T-con and the screen itself and the issue could be caused by either. The only hopes in a fix is to replace the T-con and if that does not solve this then the set is not repairable (as the cost of the screen is 80% of what the TV cost when new and not available for separate purchase).

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable trying a tackle, a shop will charge close to $200 parts and labor to replace the T-con, and there are still no guarantees. Many shops these days will lean towards it being a "Panel" (screen) issue and deem the set as not repairable. However if you'd like a second opinion, or to inquire on a repair estimate you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?