Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I installed a new t-con board in my sony bravia 70xbr850b.

Customer Question

I installed a new t-con board in my sony bravia 70xbr850b. now it will not recognize any software. Is there a way to reinstall the firmware. Sony site only gives the updates, and I believe I need the original firmware.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The way to re-install the firmware, would be to buy a new Main Logic Board, with the firmware-containing chips on board it.

What are the symptoms of not recognizing any software? does it not run any apps?

What was wrong with the TV before the new T-Con was put into it?

Was the new T-Con an exact match to the old?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
back to the original question w/Mike G. back in February 2016; and yours What was wrong with the TV before the new T-Con was put into it?: The Sony Bravia xbr-70x850b LED illumination light was flashing 3, 4, & 5 times per 3 sec. I could unplug the tv to reset, get a picture, then it would shut off again and begin flashing, before I could get to any menu.
Another of your questions/suggestions: "The way to re-install the firmware, would be to buy a new Main Logic Board, with the firmware-containing chips on board it." Well, I purchase a new logic board, installed it, and it did not change the symptoms my tv was having.
Regarding the question: "Was the new T-Con an exact match to the old?" Yes, I verified all the id numbers as well as the chips and ports on the new board.
As far as the question: "What are the symptoms of not recognizing any software? does it not run any apps?" I have a blank blue screen. The tv turns on and does not display at all; no menu, no picture, no sound (except for a static blast at the initial turn on).
There has to be an easy answer out there somewhere.

I hope the right answer is easy; I fear it might not be; I will seek the former.

One more question, please: How many boards, and which boards, have been swapped into it?

(I do sort of recall this case, but I have had so many cases, I must ask for details all over again.)

Thanks for the information so far, it was quite completely presented.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Initially, I did the T-con and main logic. Then, I removed the main logic and put back the old one because the new one did not change the symptoms.

Then if you haven't tried it before, see if the Main Logic *AND* the T-CON, both New, together in the machine, can help, or at least change the symptoms... unless (I understand) the new board(s) is/have been sent back or otherwise are unavailable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I explained, I tried the main logic board along with the T-con board. The logic board did not change the symptoms. I have done it twice.

OK, then.

Have you checked the power supply's voltages, against a reliable service manual's indicated ranges of voltages?

Have you done a visual inspection of the boards in the TV, for defective components, bulging and/or leaking capacitors, burnt spots, etc.?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your process is awful painstaking.
I have nothing to check voltage.
Yes, I inspected the boards.

'Nothing to check voltage' meaning, no reference manual or service manual showing the test points and the proper voltage ranges for them?

Or, simply, no volt-meter to check voltage with?

Or, both?

The process has to be painstaking. TVs are complex systems, which can be deranged in odd and unexpected ways by one single component failing. It takes time and effort to find that component - even at the board level.

(Also, in older TVs, connectors can get dirty. No amount of board-replacement will cure it if the connectors to those boards do not communicate. ...And there is the case where a power supply voltage is defective, from the power supply, causing defects in other parts of the TV. And, worst of all, a shorted board or component can load down one power supply voltage, causing perhaps a puzzling variety of problems esp. if the p/s. itself is damaged by this... not usually, but it can happen.)

My apologies. I'd really like it if I could make this simpler. If you would prefer another Expert to take this on, let me know.

And, service manuals are available - sometimes for free, usually for a small amount if they cost something. Would you like one?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You have not answered a single question.
No, I do not want another so called expert.
This is the second time I feel being ripped off by your site.
Please do not bill my credit card, as you have not provided any service.
I thought I was paying to ask the questions.
Instead, it has been you asking one after another.
I feel like I should be charging you.
Don't worry, I will not be using your site again.
Please shut down my enrollment.