Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am having trouble with the sound on my tachi TV, it was

Customer Question

I am having trouble with the sound on my hitachi TV, it was working fine last night but now we have tried using it today there is nothing,
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 3 - 5 years old, and is hitachi L42Vk04U
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have turned off at the wall and back on again, gone to the menu options on the TV and on sky to retune in both to make sure nothing has stopped there
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Are you using some sort of a tuner/box between the aerial and the TV? Or is the only connection a direct aerial from the wall to the TV?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The connection is straight from the wall into the box with no other connections that is for both separately for the sky box and for my TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Have you tried rebooting the box itself by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in please? If you're saying you're using a box between the incoming aerial and the TV then your most likely culprit is simply the box needs to be rebooted. Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The leads go straight from the wall into the sky box and also straight into my TV, I have rebooted the box and TV several times and even tried my DVD player which is connected via a scart lead, I have even retuned the TV and sky box to see if that helped
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay. We need to rule out whether the TV itself or the Sky Box is the root cause here.

So if you play a DVD on the set- is there STILL no sound (this tells us if the TV is actually the cause of the issue)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried the DVD and still no sound so I can only assume it is the TV that has this issue, what can I do to fix it,
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

As far a "fixing it"? There are no settings or adjustments on the TV, so if you've isolated it to the TV then this would mean the audio processing on the "Mainboard" has FAILED- requiring replacement of that board. There is no "Audio Reset", or "TV speakers ON/OFF" settings on this set...

It would be worth trying a hard reboot of the TV however.

Unplug the TV from power then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 full seconds and release.

Wait a minute, plug the set back in and turn it on.

Check and see if there's sound and try those steps up to three times if the first do not work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If you're still having the same problems. then the part that needs to be replaced is: 17MB65-2 23031698 HITACHI.

It is the board that all of the audio processing occurs on, and is a "plug and play" part (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it). I you're looking to fix the set yourself, you can purchase that part at the link below for your set:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17MB65-2-23031698-HITACHI-L42VK04U-VESTEL-MAIN-BOARD-/191906968154

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have tried to hard reboot my TV but hasnt seemed to do anything other than beep once when I pressed and held the standby button on the TV after I had turned off at the wall
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done this 3times now with no difference
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay yes, that's correct. Now have you plugged it back in turned it on and checked for sound?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have and still no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If there's still no sound, then the part that needs to be replaced is: 17MB65-2 23031698 HITACHI.

http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17MB65-2-23031698-HITACHI-L42VK04U-VESTEL-MAIN-BOARD-/191906968154

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that the correct chip board that I need for my TV, is it available anywhere else or just from eBay?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that definitely the cause to it and couldn't be anything else?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How easy is it to fix myself?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

That is DEFINITELY the problem. I've been repairing TV's from afar on here for close to 8 years now and that is always the cause of no sound- ALL of your audio is processed on that board.

As far as the part- I don't have your TV in front of me so I can only search using your MODEL NUMBER. I am also located in the US- so would not be privy to local sources of the part for you.

If you want to find the part elsewhere, and confirm- you will need to REMOVE THE ENTIRE back of your TV, find the board with the Scart and AV jacks on it- and write down the part number on the board itself then GOOGLE to search possible sources.

When I typed in your model number that eBay listing was the only one I found that showed your board.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

.