Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a flatscreen Panasonic TV that is just a few years

Customer Question

I have a flatscreen Panasonic TV that is just a few years old. It will no longer turn on. When I push the on button on the handheld controller,the small console below the TV lights up but the TV screen does not come on. Is there something I can try before I have to throw it out and buy a new one?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Mainboard being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Let me know when you see my reply.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did what you told me 5 times. The first 2 times, after I had unplugged the TV and pushed the on button for 10 seconds, the red power light came on but the screen never came on. After the 1st 2 attempts, when I would replug the TV and push the power button, the red power light would start flashing for 14 times then stop for a few seconds then flash 14 times again then stop again and so on. This pattern persisted through the next few trials.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. So the red light does respond with the power button being pressed? Also when the power button is pressed, does the screen light up at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The screen does not respond in any way to anything at all.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately that is all you can try on a user level, and this indicates the set has a fault either in the mainboard or the power supply board. There are no quick fixes for this and the set requires component level testing and replacement to fix it. The average cost for this repair on this set is in the $250-$300 range, and given the availability of parts (parts are no longer made after around the 5 year mark), and the fact that the set is approaching 10 years, AND can be replaced with a brand new 46" LED for the same cost- this is not a cost effective repair. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. If you'd like to have this repaired, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Sorry the link is here to contact a repair shop:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if you are a DIY type and looking to try to repair the set yourself, the MOST common cause of this is the Mainboard since it controls the set's overall turn on command. Let me know and I will search for a source for that part for you.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.