Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Receiver going into immediate Protector

Customer Question

receiver going into immediate Protector
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

"Protector" is an indicator that there are either ONE of the following issues occurring:

1) A blown or faulty speaker connected to the receiver (showing the Receiver's Speaker Outputs a Dead Short).
2)A speaker wire that is shorting against the chassis, or a bare end of wire touching an adjacent wire (The MOST common cause of this problem).
3) Faulty Output Transistors inside the receiver itself. These are the IC devices that directly Power and Drive the Speakers.Unplug the unit from AC power, and disconnect all of the speakers AND Speaker Wiring) from the back of the receiver. Upon plugging back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 5-10 seconds to force a hard reset.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the "PROTECTOR" indicator to come on.
This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.If the unit shows "Protector" with NO speakers connected, then it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. These directly drive the loudspeaker outputs on the receiver itself, and one or more of them being shorted (closed circuit), will trigger the error on the display of the receiver, and it will not go off until the problem is repaired.
They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range for this receiver, and MAY be more cost effective to replace it- versus repairing it.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

However if you'd like to get another opinion, or are considering having it serviced, you can use the link below to locate a service center in your area:
http://www.stereorepair.com

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.