littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.

My Apple TV is blinking red, and I have no connection to the

Customer Question

My Apple TV is blinking red, and I have no connection to the TV. My Apple TV is the 1st generation, and it is running through a Denon receiver, which is the media center for the room. The Amazon Fire TV unit works just fine. I've tried a reset on the Apple TV, but it just continues to blink red.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Samsung UHD 75", about 2 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Rebooted my Harmony Universal remote (everything else works), unplugged the Apple TV box for 30 sec, reset the Apple TV box.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: This is my only issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. How did you reset AppleTV?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The reset button on the back of the unit.

Ok, I want you to disconnect all of the cables, and press and hold the reset button for a full minute. Let it sit an additional minute. Plug it back in, and tell me if that fixes the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Red light is still on but not blinking.

Nothing on the TV?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My receiver name (Denon) displays on the tv when I depress the Apple TV button on my Harmony remote. The Apple TV box blinks red 2 or 3 times and goes back to red, and it now is green.

Green is good, since it's changing, hit the reset button again. We may need to unplug it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Since the light is changing, it means something is working. They can get stuck from time to time and be a problem.

If you get frustrated and throw it out the window, I found a refurb for a great price, click here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I unplug the cables before or after the reset?

Try it once with the cables. If it doesn't change, disconnect everything. There is no wrong way, it's changing, and we just have to keep messing with it until it starts working again. If you get a green light, plug it directly into your TV for testing purposes.