Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I cannot get my remote to sync to my tv

Customer Question

I cannot get my remote to sync to my tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What remote are you using?
Will the tv respond to its on onboard buttons (on the tv itself)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a Magnavox remote, I can only get the 5, 7, 8 and 9 to work. channel up channel down, volume up volume down, menu etc will not work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the buttons on the tv work. the remote will not work in sync with the tv
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay what remote are you using?
Is it the original magnavox tv remote, or a cable/satellite or universal remote?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is the original remote that came with the tv
I was under the impression someone would get back to me within 30 minutes of my first was 3 hrs 40 min. by that time I was in bed. I thought it would be an easier fix. didn't realize it was going to take so long.
I had 2 charges on my account. one for 5.00 and one for 13.00.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the info, and my apologies for any delay in getting you an answer. There is no set response time, depending on the time of day and what experts online at a given moment.

What you are describing is not a matter of syncing or programming. The remote is programmed to operate your tv and your tv only, from the factory. That cannot be changed.

So if some buttons work but others don't, that points toward a defective remote, meaning the electronic membrane switches under the buttons are starting to fail, which is part of normal age related wear and tear.

Lets try a quick test of the factory remote. Take the tv remote into a dim/dark room, and look at the infrared emitter at the front edge of the remote, as viewed through the DISPLAY (not the viewfinder) of a digital camera. A cell phone cam, web cam, security camera, etc will also work. Each time you press a button on the remote, you should see the emitter at the front light up, flash, or glow slightly. If you do (for those specific buttons) then the remote is functional. If you do not, then the remote is bad and would need to be replaced. I can help you find a new remote at that point if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried the remote and there are no lights coming on at all, no matter what button I push. Will you be able to send me another remote?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I cannot send you a remote, as we don't sell anything here directly, this site is just for information and support.

I can direct you to where to buy one though.

You may order a new remote from this link here:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Karen?