Carl L
Carl L, Master Technician
Experience:  Current Electronics Shop Owner and Master Technician in FL.

Model: 60PP9100D/37 65" made in 2006 I turned it on this

Customer Question

Model: 60PP9100D/37
made in 2006
I turned it on this morning and it made a Pop noise and then when the picture appeared it was in black and white. The tv in other room is still in color (we have Direct TV). I switched the Philips tv to the streaming Fire Stick and still no color. Is this a repair I can perform myself or should it only be done by a repair company? And about how much should it cost?
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

- Is the tv menu using the buttons on the tv itself, also in black and white?

-What kind of electronics experience do you have exactly?

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The menu that displays when using the Menu buttons on the tv is in black and white. I have a basic knowledge with electronic schematics and have done basic repairs on vacuum tube tv's and radios in the past.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Have you tried unplugging the tv power cord for 5 full minutes? If not, please do so now. I will be checking for parts availability...

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I cannot locate my service manual for this exact model. So I will open this question to other experts. If I find my manual, I may chime back in later. For now, just hold your replies, another expert will be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I unplugged the tv power cord for 10 full minutes and still just black and white picture.
Expert:  Carl L replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Carl and I will be assisting you where Mike left off. I have been professionally repairing TVs for over 14 Years and I have seen this issue many times. Normally when Rear Projections go to just B&W, color will return for a brief time then go back to B&W. This is caused by a solder joint that has cracked and can be resolved by taking a soldering iron to it to rejoin the connection. If the B&W is permanent, meaning that color never comes back, then that popping sound was an IC Chip blowing that's responsible for the Color Sync.

The TV itself is processing colors just fine because Red, Blue, & Green is required to make White, it's just that one circuit that has gone out. I believe the IC chip used in these models are 16 pins and require Flux, a flat Tipped Soldering Tip, IC Extractor, and a soldering iron set to about 700 degrees in order to properly remove and replace. The Solder patches are held in by epoxy and can EASILY come off the board creating permanent damage. Please don't take this wrong way and I am all about DIY projects, but if removing IC Chips isn't something your experienced with, hire a professional to do this for you as the damage is permanent!

If you need any clarification or additional help, please feel free to ask me.