Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have no remote control TV (NSLCD37). A "friend" was over

Customer Question

Hello- I have no remote control for the TV (NSLCD37). A "friend" was over and was fiddling with the control buttons on the side of the TV and now I get nothing but snow, with very faint objects here and here, which I am unable to see clearly.. I'd like to reset the unit to where I can use it as a computer monitor with an HDMI connection.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Providing nothing failed within the TV when your friend was fiddling with it, then your set is simply on the incorrect Input. Use the original Insignia remote's "Input" button, or the HDMI, Video, etc. buttons at the top of the remote to put the TV back to the correct Input. If that is not working then let me know exactly what you see on your screen when you use your Input button.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Are you with me here?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The "friend" also lost the remote so all I have are the side buttons on the TV itself.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im here
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay, taking a look to see if you can do this with the buttons on the set. Possibly, possibly not. Hang on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

The Input button is the second one up from the bottom where the TV's "side buttons" are. Hit Input once and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im connected with lap top to Insignia TV through HDMI cable
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Yes I saw that in your question. Please reply back to my replies directly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do I turn on the TV before hitting the input button?
'
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Yes. If it's not on it can't do anything.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

You're welcome. Hit the button once and see if it changes the Input. If not hit it a couple more times. You want to get the TV back to HDMI. Let me know exactly what happens please.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK when I turn it on, I see white/grey screen with small rectangular blobs of stuff slowly going up the screenI will press the input button now which is the 2nd from the bottom. Im connected tot he TV with HDMI cable to my Dell Lap Top
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hit the button once and see if it changes the Input. If not hit it a couple more times. You want to get the TV back to HDMI. Let me know exactly what happens please.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK I pressed the 2nd from the bottom button and the small blobs of stuff disappeared, now I have all snow
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Follow the instructions as outlined. Hit the button a few more times. Try to find the HDMI Input.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What button do you want me to "hit"?
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

The Input button- the only button I've referenced since we started.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK I hit the input button several times. It goes fro all white snow to faint 3" think very faint bar going left to right across the screen , with illegible content, and then back to all snow
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a way to do a factory default reset?
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

I'm sorry but this means your TV has a hardware issue, as it's not in normal operation of the set to have these faint illegible letters and content. Please try a hard reboot (there is no factory reset if the indicators are not legible).

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK Ill try
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Okay!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No change-Its still white/light gray snow
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Yes I am typing to you. I'm sorry but your TV has failed, and there's nothing else on a user level that can fix this. It requires hardware replacement either with it's Mainboard or power board. On average you're looking at a $200 repair for this and since the TV can be replaced for that same cost with a brand new LED set, it's not cost effective to repair. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Im sorry you were not able to help me. But that is the way it goes.
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Yes, there's no way to repair a broken set over the computer. All we can do is run through the steps you should do to restore the correct input (since you were unable) and if the issue is still there it concludes a hardware failure. A technician would have charged $75 to make an in home visit to determine the same thing, which is where the value of our service shows.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.