Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My pioneer plasma monitor has no picture and has the blue

Customer Question

my pioneer plasma monitor has no picture and has the blue led flashing 6 times. I expect its time to buy a new tv
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: its a pdp-436pe
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: all turned off media box and tv fed through a surge protector
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

You are correct, it is probably time for a new set.

The issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. While it was a high end model at the time, this set is now well past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. Pioneer tvs are labor intensive to repair, and parts are very scarce and costly.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?