Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

The power button light on my Mitsubishi CS 32309 blinks

Customer Question

The power button light on my Mitsubishi CS 32309 blinks green continuously. TV won't turn on. I have tried plugging and unplugging the power, but the light continues to blink. I have pushed the A/V Rest button, but the TV does not come on.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: CS 32309
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Plugging and unplugging power cord...pushing A/V Reset button
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand when the green light blinks on this set (and other Mitsubishi sets), it indicates a hardware fault- generally in the EEPROM, or the capacitors in the power supply circuit.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and press power once.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If the set does not power up at this point, then press and hold the AV Reset button for 7 full seconds and release (this is how the reset button is intended to work).

If you're still having problems, then repeat those steps up to 3 times to try to force a reboot.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If the issue persists beyond the 3 reboot attempts, then you're most commonly looking at failure of some capacitors in the power supply circuit (which is the most common cause of this problem). This can also be caused by a faulty EEPROM (processor) in the mainboard circuitry, among other things. To narrow it down requires testing inside of the set with a multi-meter, following the service manual to trace the voltages in the set. Unfortunately the average cost for this repair is in the $250 range, and given this is an older 32" Tube TV and can be replaced with a BRAND NEW 32" LED set for the same cost, it does not make sense to put this kind of money into repairs. That same money would be better spent towards replacing the TV versus repairs.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. It's very common for electrical components to age due to wear and heat and cause failures like this without warning.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.