Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

My Samsung smart tv just stopped, it was working fine and

Customer Question

My Samsung smart tv just stopped
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: it was working fine and then went to black no sound no picture and the power want turn off. I tried unplugging the power and nothing changed.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I unplugged it but not for hours just 10-15 minutes. It's about 3 yrs old in the master bed room so isn't used much.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I did shut the power off to the direct tv as well as the tv and no change.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This was my initial chat conversation, tonight.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you give me the model number of the tv, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as this type of electronic fault often crops up after a few years.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help. The only button I've found is on the back that acts like a tiny mouse. Is that the power button? I've been unplugging the power source from the back of the tv.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Yes that is a multipurpose button.

It can be pressed up/down or to the side for volume and channel, and pressed and held for power and input.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?