Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The problem is back. I got it workin last night, but then

Customer Question

The problem is back. I got it workin last night, but then stopped again.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, The invalid format issue usually occurs when either the HDMI cable is failing or the Apple TV box is failing. Have you tried another HDMI cable yet please?

Also are there any other sources connected to this TV using HDMI that are working just fine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The other sources work fine. The tv is working on everything except Apple TV on HDMI 1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made an appointment with Apple tomorrow, but still curious if it's the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thanks. Well a way to tell if it's apple or not is to pull the HDMI cable out of one of the sources that IS working just fine on the TV and plug it right into the apple TV box. Since you already know that cable and port are good on the TV, this quick test will see if the apple TV box displays the same issue on the TV again.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If the Apple TV box works just fine and doesn't have a problem in another port, then you know the HDMI cable you were using was bad and needs to be replaced. If however the Apple TV box continues to have the same problem then you know it's the Apple TV box as the root cause of the issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did that last night. It's say invalid format when I swapped the HDMI cord.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Even on another port on the TV- mening you also ruled out a bad port?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I plugged the Apple TV into HDMI 2, it's says invalid format. HDMI 2 is working fine connected to cable, so it can't be the cord. It's only saying that when connected to Apple tv
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tv weighs 200lbs, and is mounted to the wall. I don't have an extra HDMI cable to test Apple TV on another tv and I can't unplug the HDMI cable from the tv without taking it down.
So frustrating.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Understood, then it would isolate this to being an Apple TV issue. Have you tried unplugging the power connection to the Apple TV box for several seconds and then plugging it back in to see if that changes anything?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have done that 100 times.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Well here's the thing- there's only so much you can do on a user level. There's no settings or adjustments on the Apple TV or the TV itself to fix this problem, so if you've isolated to the ATV box itself- this means a faulty box and a replacement is needed. There's nothing else to do at this point.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry for the bad news here, but all we can do is try to power cycle, try another port, try another cable, and if no other devices have the same problem on the TV then you've found the root cause to be the Apple TV box.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.