Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

My jvc tv LT-48N530A won't turn on. I've checked the power

Customer Question

My jvc tv LT-48N530A won't turn on. I've checked the power and it's plugged in. I've also held down the side buttons and it's still not turning on. Not even the green standby light comes up on the front. Can you help?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 18 months old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I put this in my first message to you
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 4 months ago.

My apologies, I see you are already working with Nathan. I am not sure what happened, there should be a lock to prevent more than one expert responding like this. I apologize for any confusion and I will bow out now and let Nathan resolve your issue! Have a nice day both of you!

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. Without even the power light, we'd expect a bad power board at a minimum. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand, which tends to be toward the lower end of the quality spectrum, they tend to have high failure rates and short service lives.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/size however, replacement will often make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,