Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a brand new Samsung TV and have a HDMI cable plugged

Customer Question

I have a brand new Samsung TV and have a HDMI cable plugged into it. There are 2 portals on the back of the TV. One says HDMI N1 and the other portal says HDMI N2.
I also purchased a new Sanyo DVD player and an HDMI cable for it also. The HDMI portal on the back of the TV only supports one HDMI cable. I must unplug the DVD player for the TV to function normally with the use of one of the HDMI portals. The same goes for
operating the DVD player. One one of the HDMI cables will support playing the DVD player. When it plays, the TV does not function.
Should I have purchased a special type of HDMI cable for the DVD player?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- What is connected to HDMI-2 input of TV?

- What other video device you have besides the DVD player that you need to disconnect DVD player to get the other video source to function on TV?

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Did you get above reply or want assistance with this question?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
lst of all, Just Answer has my email address wrong. It is: ***@******.***, not***@******.***
I have corrected this several times with Just Answer and it continues to display in error.There is nothing connected to the HDMI 2 portal. Nothing works in this portal. The TV will work in the HDMI 1 portal and the DVD player will work in the HDMI 1 portal. But neither of them will work when the HDMI 2 portal is connected.The only other sourse that works connected to the TV with an HDMI cable is the Direct TV receiver.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the info and sorry about the trouble for your email address.

- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?

- Also, if connect Direct TV receiver into HDMI-2 input of TV, are you able to select HDMI-2 input by pressing Source button on TV remote (not on cable remote)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
These are the specs for our new TV:
Samsung 48" Class 1080p LED Smart HDTV w/ Built-In WiFi - Model No. UN48J5200OK, we did this going through the TV remote and it worked. However, we had to turn the DVD player off, and go back through the process of pressing Source on the TV remote and then connecting by pressing HDMI-2. Will we need to do this every single time when we are finished with the DVD player and wish to go back to watching TV?
And also, what about when we wish to record a program while we are watching TV? How will that work?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I received your reply, and above is my answer with my questions This begins with "These are the specs.........."
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for delayed reply, I was away from computer.

- What happens if you do not turn Off DVD player and push Source button on TV remote, do you still get input source list and able to select HDMI-2 input?
This info will help to diagnose the issue.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try this suggestion and report back to you in a few minutes. Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

OK, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The answer is yes, I still get input source list and I am able to select HDMI-2 input.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Fine, then what is the issue.

When you need to watch Direct TV channel, select HDMI-2 input and when wish to watch DVD then select HDMI-1 input. TV is allowing you to do select any of HDMI input then what is the problem?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The problem is that we do not wish to disconnect the HDMI2 cable in the back of the TV for Direct TV, in order to then connect he HDMI-1 input cable for watching the DVD. This is what we were having to do until you told us what to do with the TV remote.The problem now is that we are having to turn the DVD player off from the remote, and go back through the process of pressing Source on the TV remote and then connect back to the TV by pressing HDMI-2. Will we need to do this every single time when we are finished with the DVD player and wish to go back to watching the TV?
Also, what about when we wish to record a program while we are watching TV? How will that work if we are having to disconnect from the TV in order to operate the DVD player.?
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Let me explain, connect the DVD player into HDMI-1 input of TV and Direct TV box into HDMI-2 input. There is no need to turn Off or disconnect any device while selecting either HDMI-1 or 2 input source by pressing Source button, this is normal way to operate the TV, please try it and reply back if there is any trouble.

To recorder the program on DVD player, I need the model number of it to see its specifications to assist you further.

Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Just to add more info, please reboot Direct TV box by unplug its power cord from wall outlet/ stripe for 5 minutes, replug back in and let it reboot that may take few minutes to finish, now try HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 inputs of TV to watch DVD and Direct TV box picture.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The model number of the DVD player is: Sanyo Model: FWZV475F . I will try the suggestions you have made above and await your reply concerning the DVD player recorder.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for DVD recorder model number info, working on it to find out best connection setup for recording and get back with you in 15 minutes, is this OK?

Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Sorry about delayed reply.

Does your Direct TV box has yellow-red-white video-audio Out jacks at rear?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does, we have by-passed those by using the great invention of an HDMI cable.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

HDMI cable is providing signals from cable box to TV and you would still get video and audio output at those RCA jacks (yellow for video, red-white for audio) so plug an AV cable into those jacks and hook the other end pins into Video In and Audio In jacks at rear of Sanyo DVD Recorder, need to select L1 (line 1) input in DVD recorder with its remote to get Directv box channel signals into recorder for recording.

This is the only way to make recordings and I'm afraid the picture quality wouldn't be high because DVD recorder doesn't have HD input (HDMI, 1080 resolution) and yellow-red-white input provides low quality result which is 480 resolution.

I hope these info will help, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure I understand these last steps. But I am willing to give them a try. thank you for all of your help, and tremendous patience. You have been very understanding in getting things across to me.
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome, please try the steps mentioned in previous reply for recording and selecting HDMI-1 and 2 input source while DVD recorder and Directv Box are connected and powered up.

I would recommend to get newer model DVD Recorder for this TV if you want to do recordings. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.