Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Samsung plazma 8000 series, 64 inch, power light blinking 5

Customer Question

samsung plazma 8000 series, 64 inch, power light blinking 5 times and a short pause and then again. The screen is dead blank.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: first time a few hours back. the TV came on itself after a few hours. Now after 8 hours its the same issue again.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3 years old Samsung PDP 8000
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing works. Swittched off the mains and tried to restart, however, the display does not come on.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Please get me the full model number off of the back of the set. Also this generally indicates a hardware failure with the TV, either the power supply board or mainboard failing is the most common cause of this.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.