Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

The picture on the tv was very dull. attempted to brighten

Customer Question

the picture on the tv was very dull. attempted to brighten it but it then kept dinging on and off. cannot turn it off had to plug it out althogether
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
UN40EH5050FXZA
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for TV model number info.

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cable box and no
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

OK, so currently TV is just turning On and Off when plug power cord in, is this correct?
How old is the TV and how long it have had dim/ dull picture problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
just last night
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it flicks on and off when plugged in
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
about 3-4 yrs old
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are u there
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

I'm typing an answer for you, please hold your replies..

Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the info.

It seems problem with backlight system and either backlight inverter section on power supply board that provides voltage to backlights inside screen isn't working to provide enough voltage OR the backlight LEDs inside screen have got shorted and causing overload to inveter section of power supply board thus TV goes to On and Off cycle in attempt to turn On the backlights. I would replace power supply board as first thing to resolve the issue, please check with following board supplier if you wish to do-it-yourself..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=UN40EH5050FXZA

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shahid replied 5 months ago.

Hi, do you need any further assistance with this question?

Thanks.