Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have vizio vw42l fhdtv10a. Am considering a sound bar with

Customer Question

I have vizio vw42l fhdtv10a. Am considering a sound bar with optical input. The vizio has spdif. I an confused about how this works.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I have vizio vw42l fhdtv10a. Am considering a sound bar with optical input. The vizio has spdif. I an confused about how this works.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Haven't bought it yet. Wanted to make sure it works.
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope, this is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for the question. You can use a soundbar with an Optical input with this TV, you will simply need an SPDIF to Optical converter to allow them to work together. I can pull up a link to this device if you'd like?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Actually though, I have your TV pulled up in front of me right now, and it's showing that you have an Optical jack labeled "Optical" right next to the Audio Out jacks on the rear of the TV. Does your set not have this and only has the round RCA-type SPDIF plug in?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

The converter below takes an "SPDIF" (digital coaxial which is the other term) Input, and then converts it to an Optical Output. SO if your TV only has the single round SPDIF port, then you will simply use the converter below and can then connect it to any soundbar that uses Optical:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2947&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHLzDcFEIlW2ZmhiXpRjXAJPZGYjIHx9IrD-DcopkD_ZcaAqwH8P8HAQ

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

So to answer your question more directly- Yes, you can use a soundbar with Optical Input with this Vizio TV. Let me know if you need anything further.