Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

I'm trying to turn the tv on and the light flickers and then

Customer Question

I'm trying to turn the tv on and the light flickers and then I hear the click like it shut back off
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I have been gone for a week and just come home so it hasn't been on since last Sunday but I did unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: That's about it I'm electronic dubby
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No it would just be nice to watch my tv and I can't get it to come on so I thought I'd go to the web
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

-What is the model number of the tv?

-How long have you had the tv?

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

What is the model number of the tv?

How long have you had the tv?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can see your reply, I have an Emerson I think.It's a 40" it's on the wall
So I can't see the model number it is a flat screen but it's nothing fancy and it's about 3 yr okd
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, since unplugging the Tv POWER cord did not work, there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, complex checks need to be performed with a meter, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further.

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted but I can tell you that diagnosis, parts, and labor will end up costing more than a new 40" Tv and could take a few weeks to get all sorted.

Unless you can actually DIY (with assistance), I would strongly suggest you use the money you saved by coming here first toward a replacement tv rather than going for a repair.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks for the information
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome.

Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page so that I get credit for my work.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

keep in mind an in home diagnosis by a local repair shop costs $100-$135 up front. So finding out right away from this online chat whether your tv can be repaired and how much it may cost is well worth it.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?