Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

To change channel on TV blue box on bottom of screen states

Customer Question

To change channel on TV blue box on bottom of screen states please disconnect external drive from the cable box Alert 13. What do I do?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, In order to know what to do, we need at least some specifics here.

1) What is the model number of your TV (located on the back of the set)?

2) Whom is your cable provider?

3) What is the brand and model number off of the front of the cable box?

Once I have these details I can hep you.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I think we can skip some of the questions I asked. That message "please disconnect external drive from the cable box Alert 13" is generated by a Motorola Cable box, and generally occurs when an external hard drive has been connected to the cable box. I'm assuming nothing has been recently connected to yours however?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

If not, then you will want to first try a reboot of the cable box by removing it's power cord form the wall for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Once it reboots, see if that message is still there.

If it is NOT- then a simple reboot was all that is needed.

However if it is still on the screen, then you will need to contact your Cable Provider (by calling them on the phone number that is on your bill) and request that they exchange the cable box, since the message would indicate the cable box is faulty. Since the cable company owns this equipment and is responsible for it, they would be obligated to swap that box out to fix the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.