Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

I CANT turn on my tv Sharp Aquos I SHUTS DOWN AS SOON AS I

Customer Question

JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: %YEARS
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: 5years
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

What is the model number of the tv? see sticker on back of tv

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

What is the model number of the tv please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Most of the time this won't help but go ahead and please try this:
-disconnect all audio/video wires from the tv.
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release.
-plug in only the tv power cord and try to turn on.

If that does not help then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, complex checks need to be performed with a meter, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further.

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted but I can tell you that diagnosis, parts, and labor will end up costing just about the same as a new 42" Tv and could take a few weeks to get all sorted.

If you cannot DIY then I would strongly suggest you use the money you saved by coming here first toward a replacement tv rather than going for a repair.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

I hope the reset works for you but if not, I am really sorry to deliver such bad news.

I do understand that finding out your tv needs expensive repairs is not pleasant but please keep in mind why you came here to use this service.

An in home diagnosis by a local repair shop costs $100-$135 up front. Finding out whether your tv can be repaired and how much it may cost from this online chat costs a fraction of that!

Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page so that I get credit for my work.