Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I own a Sony hts7 sound bar and I am using an optical cable

Customer Question

I own a Sony hts7 sound bar and I am using an optical cable to connect tv sound to the sound bar. Optical input 1 does not have sound from tv. Optical input does have sound from tv. My tv will control the sound bar through the opt 1 input (power on/off and switching between inputs HDMI and Opt 1 input) it does not through the opt 2 input. I would prefer to use the opt 1 input but there is no sound. Any suggestions for opt 1 usage?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me what content you are using on the tv? Cable/satellite box, antenna, smart tv apps, etc?

Are you saying opt2 does work on the soundbar?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am using smart tv apps such as Netflix and Hulu and Yes, opt 2 input does work with these same apps. My TV is a Vizio if that makes a difference.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also have Directv, blu-Ray and Apple TV playing through HDMI on sound bar.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for confirming. There is really no setting that should cause this, so initially we'd suspect a soundbar hardware issue.
Could you try plugging your dtv box into the soundbar on optical one and see if that works there, just so we can verify functionality that way to isolate the issue further?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I apologize for the delayed response. I have just now came home and tried a Blu Ray player through the optical 1 input and no sound. I did not hook up video but there was definitely no sound. I do find it odd to be a hardware issue because, when I start a smart app on the TV the soundbar automatically switches to the TV input when connected to input 1 and switches back when I leave the smart app.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

This does point to a hardware issue.

The matter of switching inputs has nothing to do with optical 1 being functional or not. That happens because of the hdmi connection - the hdmi control (CEC) function is engaging and communicating between devices, that is what prompts it.

The optical connection doesn't do anything in terms of control.

All signs at this point would indicate you've got a faulty optical port on the soundbar.

What we can try is to reset the soundbar unit

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 1 hour
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?