Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup

I'm trying to set up my tv ears and my tv needs to be on

Customer Question

I'm trying to set up my tv ears and my tv needs to be on pcm. The pcm is darkened out in the settings section and I cannot turn it or the stereo on. Please help.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: toshiba 42hp66
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: I hooked the ears up via optical cable. Otherwise I can't think of anything.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

- Please list everything that you are plugging into this Tv? examples: cable box, bluray, dvd, game, antenna, etc...

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Already hooked up is a DVDs player, cable box, and Apple TV. I have the tv ears hooked up to opticle cable. I don,t know how old. Maybe 10 years old.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks. I would rather type.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

yes, of course. working on your question now. please hold your replies, be back in a few minutes

Expert:  Mike G. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry it took so long....

There is a reason you are not able to properly use the Digital Audio port on the tv. Many of these older Tv's do not pass audio out of the digital optical/coax ports unless the tv is set to the TUNER input and is set on a Digital Channel that is actually broadcasting digital audio. This is by design and is due to copy protection and cannot be changed. For you, this means the digital optical/coax ports are not useful at all when using the Video inputs on the tv. This is explained on page 15 of the tv's user manual:

The alternative is to use the Analog L/R audio out ports on the tv. Check the inputs of your Tv ears and use of analog cables would be needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I figured it out.