Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a flat screen TV that is frozen on the settings

Customer Question

I have a phillips flat screen TV that is frozen on the settings screen. When I hit exit, it will exit for a second and then come back to the same screen. I have apple TV as well and when i hit exit it will show the apple for an instant then pops back. I have tried inplugging with no joy.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. Can you guesstimate how old your Philips is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model 50FF3630A/37
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried to exit using the remote and the controls actually on the tv plus turning it off and unplugging...always get the same screen
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: are going to get back with me
JA: The TV expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , a few questions coming up and please note that it may take a few minutes between replies;

Could you please lookup that model number again ?

Does that screen show all the tv functions and cycles through the various options of the menu ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
model number: 1 50FF9630A/37screen shows a menu:
tv
settings
installation
demo
exitwith options to the right when you highlight an item
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i can take a picture of the screen if you tell me how to send it to you
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Thanks , the model number is *****

Give me a minute please and i`ll show you how to get out of the demo mode

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

You need to open the tv`s own menu and go to SETTINGS then you will see DEMO , scroll down to that and turn it off or according to the manual press the RED button on the remote to turn it off

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Let me know how that goes and If that answers your question please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't open the tv's menu even from the tv itself.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i can hold the control down and it will show the options for demo but once i let off the pressure it pops back to the same screen
Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

Sorry , had to step out for a bit .

If you cant open the tv`s own menu then it looks like a main board firmware/software issue

Be right back with some more on this

Expert:  Jack replied 11 months ago.

I see that you did reboot the tv by pulling out its power cord so there is no use to try it again.

So what i would suggest now it to upgrade the tv`s firmware , this will be similar to re-installing the operating system in your PC

Here is a link where you can see the info on how its done and the upgrade file itself , follow the procedure in the " readme file " to a t and give it a try ;http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=50PF9630A/37&scy=US&slg=AEN