Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My lg television is all of a sudden not fully powering "On".

Customer Question

My lg television is all of a sudden not fully powering "On". The power comes on and quickly shows the "lg logo" and then the screen goes black. It never gets to the DirecTV.
Question: How can I get TV to fully power on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, can you try it now and reply back with the result?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Trying it now
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, take your time and rpely back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
First recommendation failed. TV still not coming on.
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

OK, when LG logo disappear push menu button on TV or its remote (not the cable remote), does menu screen show up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no menu button. Only Home, Apps, Input, Ratio, TV, Settings, AV Mode, Exit
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

I mean Home button, basically both are same but verbiage is different

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pressed Home but nothing shows up. Screen still black
Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the info.

It seems TV firmware has been corrupted for some reason and causing the problem. Since TV shows logo that means sustain boards and display panel are working. I would recommend to update firmware by going to following LG link to download the firmware update file along with upgrade instructions file to proceed...

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-50PM4700

You would need a USB memory stick for it. If it doesn't fix the issue then I'm afraid you would need to replace main board of TV, main board is one where all video inputs are located. Please check with following supplier to get identical replacement main board if you are working on this TV yourself...

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=50PM4700-UB

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.
Regards,
Shahid.

Expert:  Shahid replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!

Please reply back here if there is additional questions.

Thank you.