Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Trying to get my tv out of photo mode without the original

Customer Question

trying to get my tv out of photo mode without the original remote hads
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: its a 26 indh
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: its a 26 inch vizio tv model va26lhdtv10t and i have a universal remote
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: trying to get it to input mode
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, If the TV is stuck in photo mode- did you have a USB drive plugged into the set and were viewing photos from it?

Also on the TV itself, the TV's INPUT button is what changes the Input modes. So what happens when you press that?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i don't have anything hooked to the ubs port it will not do anything when i hit the menu botton either
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

On the right hand side of the TV is the Input button. Okay, this is a different problem then. Your TV being locked up like this with the MENU button not responding means the "Mainboard" has likely failed. This is common when these sets get on in years (I have the same TV downstairs in my office).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and allows you to access MENU, change Inputs. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you're still having the same problem, this indicates the Mainboard has failed and needs to be replaced. Beyond those steps outlined, the board needs to be replaced. If you wanted to fix this yourself the part can be purchased below for $44 and change:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
far nothing is happening
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Well those are the only steps you can try to fix this, aside from replacing the part posted above. Again I don't have high hopes for the reset- but it needs to be attempted before concluding the Mainboard has failed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, and swapping that part yourself will save you over $100 on what a shop would charge. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.