Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My flat screen Sylvania us flashing red blue no pictures :

Customer Question

Hi my flat screen Sylvania us flashing red green blue no pictures
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sylvania is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Not for sure how old
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My daughter had who a game up I want watch TV now it just flashing them colors
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, First- sorry you're having problems.

Secondly, can you get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also when did this issue occur- was the remote being used/adjustments being made when this happened?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model number is *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They was playing the wii
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are u there
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. The screen flashing between the native colors means the set is stuck in "Test Mode" and this is something that is SUPPOSED to only be able to happen when the Service Remote is used. Since that was not the case here, this points to the TV's Mainboard having failed (the EEPROM is what generates this test mode), or in some cases the processor of the TV has simply locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not work
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Not work means the TV has a hardware issue- there are no buttons on the remote that can correct this. The Mainboard's EEPROM has failed- which is the most common failure with Sylvania/Funai TV's. On a user level the only thing you can do is leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes the processor resets. Beyond that the Mainboard in the TV needs to be replaced to fix the issue. If you're looking to attempt this yourself, then you can purchase the mainboard for your set at the link below for $27 and this will fix the issue:

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If leaving it unplugged doesn't work, then that board can be swapped out with nothing more than a screwdriver- all of the connections plug in and it can be swapped out in about 20 minutes. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.