Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

9 rapid red blinks. LCD 42PFL7422D/37

Customer Question

9 rapid red blinks.
Phillips LCD 42PFL7422D/37
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack an independent Tv/audio repairman with 40 years experience.
Perhaps i can help you with this , please let me know when you see this.

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is not my TV, but I don't believe it was during a storm or blackout.
The person watching said they heard a popping sound.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Sorry , had to step out for a bit

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k then and you don`t have the tv nearby ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Never mind the last question, i had in mind to reboot the tv but that POP sound is definitely not going to go away with a reset , something gave in the tv and that is more than likely on the tv`s power board circuit .

I will give you an idea of what you are looking at in this case

Be right back

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

The power board part 310432848912/13 or 310432848911 sells for around $75 depending on where you buy it .

If you are into this i will find it for you and could help you along but you need to be comfortable working with circuit boards , otherwise you are looking at some $ $250 parts included to have this repaired at home by a shop and you substract $50 to $75 if you take it to them .

Here is a link where you can find repair shops ; www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
If you have a choice do call more than one shop for a rough estimate , their rates can vary quite a bit .

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions or need help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can you confirm it is the power board. I had figured it was related to the power supply but wanted to actually confirm and trouble shoot. I didn't want to order the board and then put it in and not resolve the issue.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Of course I cannot be there with tool and meters so I rely on 40 years experience to give you an educated guess and the clues given here about the storm and POP sound definitely point to a power board failure .

If you are into this then let me know once you have meter in hand and back cover removed , you never mentioned anything about that to start with

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the cover is off. I have a meter.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Do you have the standby 5 volts and does the main board sends the power on signal to the power board ?

That pop sound means something blew , can you see visual signs ?

Tell me everything you tested or tried so far

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jack I'm not technician but can test voltages if you tell me where to place the leads. There is no visual
signs on the power supply. Its hard to tell with the inverters because of the covers.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k then first I need you to ID your power board at the link below and tell me which one you have ;

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42PFL7422D%2F37

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
310432848913 (310431361715)
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k then we got a problem , usually the voltages are indicated /printed directly on the circuit board and i can go by that to show you where to test but nothing on this one .

This has to be done by experience and knowledge alone and that cannot be transferred here so unless I can find some sort of schematic with pins , plugs numbers and voltages then its not going to be easy.

If that light blinks at the front then its very likely that the standby 5 volts is there , that's one done but now you would need to find the power on command from the main board .

I`ll have to get back to you on this , I don`t have enough to go on right now and I did not expect this t turn to troubleshooting .

Let me get back to you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I acutally have to run as well.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

No problem , that will give me time to see if i can find anything on this .

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Sorry but i cannot find any data /voltage test points on this power board .

I still feel it is the culprit but cannot prove it with facts , you need to see if /and find that 3 to 5 volts switch from the main board when the power button is pressed , if it is there then the power board is defective and if not and the standby 5 volts is correct then you may have a defective main board.

A tech. could easily determine that but it may cost you $50 ( or less) to have this diagnosed in a shop , not repaired , just diagnosed and you could do the rest

If that is agreeable to you then bring it to a repair shop , back cover removed and all and it should take them less than 5 or 10 minutes to find out

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jack,It wasn't the power board. Put one in today and still get the rapid 9 red blinks. Would the main board
be the issue then? Could the popping have come from eithere the master or slave inverter boards?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nevermind, I just found a burned ic on the main board.