Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My tv will not play sound. do you know why this would be the

Customer Question

my tv will not play sound. do you know why this would be the case?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is one of the settings on the tv - I have another tv in front of it now that is working just fine. It has something to do with the settings for the TV, but I am unable to figure out. I have tried connecting an HDMI chord and through regular wires as well
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Well, what would make you think it would be one of the settings- were you adjusting settings when it happened?

Or was it working fine and then stopped?

Please elaborate with more detail.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you need assistance with this, reply back.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Was the sound working and then just suddenly stopped?

Or were you doing something in the settings when it stopped?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
TV: Panasonic TH-50PF11
-We have the following two options to use as our external sound speakersOption 1: Phillips DVD Home Theater System HTS3371D
-multi use home DVD system
-MANUAL: 2: Vizio Sound Bar + Subwoofer system. Model: SB3821-C6
-The television will not play sound. There are no internal speakers built in and we do not have the clip on external speakers.
-The TV is on the older side so it does not have a lot of the plug capabilities that the speaker options do
-Regardless of which speaker system we use, we can not get sound to flow through (we have checked that both work with other sound sources)
-We have been using 3.5MM RCA Cable (with both ends having one white and one red plug). The TV, the Phillips system and the Vizio sound bar all have this plug.
-After reading the TV Manual, it seems like there is a setting we have to change on the SET UP menu to get the TV to send sound to external speakers. Not 100% sure though.Please review the manuals and advise on how you would remedy the situation. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the detailed response. In order to get the audio out to work on the TV- first there are NO RCA or other "Line Level" connections that will work to connect to a soundbar- or any other form of external powered speaker/surround system.

The monitor uses "Speaker Level" output jacks in the form of "bare-wire" spring terminals- these are designed to be connected directly to a "passive speaker" (one that accepts bare speaker wire).

Since your external sound systems only use line level connections- you need a converter to connect these speaker level outputs to. That device is below:

So a pair of standard speaker wires (stripped ends- no connectors on them), connects to the Left and Right speaker jacks on the monitor- and then other end connects to the converter.

NOW you have a set of RCA audio out jacks on the converter you can use to connect to either the soundbar or the DVD home theater system's RCA red and white audio inputs.

Next, you need to go into the MENU, then under "Sound" find the "SDI Sound Output", scroll down to "Sound Out" and then select "ON" (all this is done using the Panasonic's original remote).

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.