Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Was a nearby lightning strike the other day and my tv is a

Customer Question

Hello there was a nearby lightning strike the other day and my tv is a 60" sharp aquos lcd. When I plug it in it sounds like the screen is turning on but nothing happens
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably a year and a half or so old and it says lc-60le600u
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, First- sorry you're having problems.

Secondly, is the power or OPC light on the TV blinking? The reason I ask is the set generally does this when there's a fault, as it's an error code.

If so, please let me know which one(s) are blinking.

Additionally, was anything else affected by the storm- cable/SAT box, internet service, etc.?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When plugged in nothing blinks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sattelite box is still on not sure if it works but my xbox and entertainment system will not turn on either
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If you go to the TV itself and use it's own power button will it turn on with that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does nothing
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, since a few things aren't powering up here, then can you try checking and see if there's a surge protector or some other common thing which may have failed? Try plugging the TV into a different outlet and then powering it on. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried a different outlet that works and it sounds like the screen powers up but still doesn't turn on
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This would indicate a hardware failure in the TV then- most commonly the Mainboard, or the Power Supply in the TV has failed- which require service to the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried it twice and nothing happened
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry but that is the only reset you can try on the TV, and this does indicate a hardware failure in the set. When there's no sign of the power light- and no screen comes up you're looking at either the Mainboard, Power Board- or in some cases both which have failed. A storm will act as a catalyst for this type of failure, and unfortunately the set requires testing and component replacement in order to fix the issue. The average cost for this repair on your set is in the $250-$350 range (parts and labor). Alternatively, if you're a DIY type and want to attempt to repair this yourself, let me know and I will search for a source for those boards.

If you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a shop at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks and also do I need to cancel any subscription or is this a one time service?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

As far as your TV, did you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.