Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS

We have an LCD magnovox tv model: 51mp392/17h we have sound

Customer Question

we have an LCD magnovox tv model: 51mp392/17h
we have sound and no picture after replacing 2 STK original convergence ic's
everything in order except no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 months ago.

You can't just replace the 2 chips you MUST replace the kit which is the full convergence circuitry available from

Let me know if you need more help

Please consider rating the answerpositively with the rating bar of stars at the top of the page,rating me positively enables me to receive payment from the site (Iam a user of the site like you are a verified technician, I do notwork for JustAnswer) if you need more help let me know , note thequestion NEVER CLOSES IT REMAINS OPEN should you need more help nowor later thank you.

Many Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is in the complete kit i also replaced two burnt 6.8r flame proof resistors in the circuit

Let me know if you need more help

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Let me first tell you about this old Magnovox LCD rear projection tv. Model. No.. 51 mp392/17H.The TV was working fine for a long time. The problem started suddenly showing red and blue lines and not aligning. The picture was normal but the overall picture was showing false colors.. eg, green face etc.Please note the only thing that was replaced were the two STK original ICs 392/120 and I also replaced two 6.8r ohm flame proof resistors. When I switched the TV on with the aerial connected there was sound and the picture did not appear.I checked all the diodes and capacitors using an ecr meter and they all seemed to be ok. The power supply voltages are approx. 120v. There was no fuse blown in the circuit as well.We did not buy a convergence kit.

Yes I understand, there are two angles here , the first is you have made a mistake OR more likely disturbed something else in the convergence circuitry that has brought on this new fault, what we do in all cases is fit the kit from the start because if you do not do that then you run the risk of damaging the components you have already fitted, so there is no way to effectively check if that has happened, so if it was me the kit would go in then a complete blanket re-solder of most of the joints in that circuit and any other suspect joints you can see, there is no other way with this its my guess you have made a mistake fitting or disturbed something and its damaged something else, you can't do anything about diagnosis then the only sure thing was the set was working and now its not you have done a convergence repair that has not worked so the only way to go is as I have said.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
II rechecked the convergence IC’s and all the resistors seem to be fine. I found one of the pins on the STK’s had a dry joint and I re-soldered it.Now when we turn on the TV the red led on the front of the TV comes on and then blinks. It does this continuously.Any idea where we can buy the capacitors for the power supply.

Try or or you could get them from radio shack

Let me know if I can do anything else

Please remember the rating so I receive a payment from the site thank you