Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

OUR THREE YEAR OLD 42 INCH TV IS IN A UNUSED YEAR GUEST

Customer Question

OUR THREE YEAR OLD 42 INCH TV IS IN A UNUSED FOR A YEAR GUEST ROOM..IT WORKED FINE A YEAR AGO UNIT WAS DISCONNECTED. WE ARE REOPENING ROOM. TV. ON BUTTON LIGHTS BLINKS A FEW TIMES THEN TURNS OFF NO PICTURE
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack an independent TV/AUDIO repairman with 40 years experience.
Perhaps i can help you with this , please let me know when you see this.

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

Was the tv left with the power cord unplugged form the wall outlet during that time ?

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

In any case from your description you have a defective power board part #N0AB6JK00001 ,namely weak/vented capacitors and those do not like to be left uncharged/unused for extended period .

You could possibly get the tv going again this time by unplugging it 20 secs and try it again and do this repeatedly up to 10 times but ultimately it wont turn on any longer will need to be repaired

Now this board will require some know how to replace it as it will need to be adjusted afterwards.
If you are into this i will find it for you and could help you along but you need to be comfortable working with circuit boards , otherwise you are looking at some $250 to have this repaired at home by a shop and you substract $50 to $75 if you take it to them

but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 6 or 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Here is a link where you can find repair shops ; www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
If you have a choice do call more than one shop for a rough estimate , their rates can vary quite a bit .

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , that rating gets me paid for my time.
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions or need help.

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

A 42 " like this one can be bought for $300 or less now

Expert:  Jack replied 6 months ago.

This is your board ; http://www.shopjimmy.com/panasonic-n0ab6jk00001-power-board.htm and it will need to be adjusted to the voltages indicated on a sticker at the back of the plasma panel