Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

MY BIG SCREEN, APPROX 5 YEARS OLD, HAS DISTORTED SOUND. IT

Customer Question

MY BIG SCREEN, APPROX 5 YEARS OLD, HAS DISTORTED SOUND. IT MAKES NOISE BUT NOTHING AUDIBLE.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the TV?

Also, is the picture on this set perfectly fine- it's just the sound that's an issue?

Let me know and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.