Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a 55" Panasonic plasma tv, and lately, when first

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 55" Panasonic plasma tv, and lately, when first turned on, there are lots of horizontal moving/flickering lines across the entire screen. They appear mostly white, but sometimes when I pause the tv, there are some blue lines. Within a few minutes of turning the tv on, the lines go away and picture is perfectly clear. But then the lines flicker back in periodically for brief moments and then goes back to a clear picture. It has gradually been getting worse over the past few weeks. If you have any ideas on what this is and how to fix it, that would be wonderful! Thank you!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, First- sorry you're having problems.

Secondly, when you say "Pause the TV"- the TV itself doesn't have the ability to pause, but perhaps something else in your system does- a DVR or DVD player perhaps?

Also in order to determine WHAT exactly is causing those lines- what you need to do is WHILE the lines are on the screen, grab the original Panasonic remote and press MENU. Does the TV's OWN MENU cover OVER those lines? If it does, then the lines are caused by your "Source"- and not your TV (meaning the DVR, DVD, or even faulty cabling are causing the issue).

Let me know what you find and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's a dvr that I'm pausing. The lines aren't currently, so I'm waiting until they appear again and then will hit the tv's menu button.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. If it's a DVR and those lines change color when you pause it- then it's quite likely the issue is caused by the DVR or the cabling (is it an HDMI cable being used? If so, you would replace that first in this case).

However if those lines appear OVER the TV's OWN menu (make sure you're using the original TV remote and not the DVR remote to pull up the MENU), then you're looking at the beginning of a TV hardware issue.

Standing by...

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm still waiting for the lines to appear. I had to get up and do a few things, so I may have missed the brief times they've shown up. I will let you know about the menu as soon as I know, and I will definitely rate you.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay thank you. Another good way to do this is to shut the TV off and let it cool for a few minutes- so you can get those startup lines. Turn the TV on and when they appear press MENU. Let me know what you find when able.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's actually what I'm in the process of doing.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Okay sounds good.

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Did you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.