Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

Panasonic viera turns on temporarily then vertical color

Customer Question

panasonic viera turns on temporarily then vertical color screen then screen goes blank. red button in front just keeps on blinking
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: 2009. not yet
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: it wont turn on
JA: Is there anything else the TV Technician should be aware of?
Customer: if u unplug the cord from the back of the tv then plug to the outlet it will turn on temporariliy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack an independent TV/AUDIO repairman with 40 years experience.
Perhaps i can help you with this , please let me know when you see this.

Also ,Can you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
panasonic tc-p42c1
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Panasonic modrl tc-p42c1
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

O.k then this is a plasma tv

If you look at that blinking , can you observe short pauses , like 10 blinks /pause/10 blinks and so on ?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

sorry but i cant take that call just now and this offer was sent by the website , not me

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We counted over 30 blinks
Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

o.k then thats not an error code , it should be less than 14 blinks between pauses but in any case those vertical lines are a good enough clue to give you an answer

Give me a minute to compose my answer please

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for waiting

This tv uses the main board part # ***** which has the built-in logic board that causes those vertical colored bars

This board cost some $120 to buy and if you are into that I can find it for you .

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 42" tv (like this one) with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $300 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

By the way , I just saved you $26 by declining the phone call

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

Any questions on this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 months ago.

let me know later on if you have questions