How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack Your Own Question
Jack
Jack, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 8343
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752
Type Your TV Question Here...
Jack is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our TV keeps going off seconds to 3-5 minutes then comes

Customer Question

Our TV keeps going off for 5 seconds to 3-5 minutes then comes back on.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Hi , I`m Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem , please send me a reply when you see this ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hope it helps
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Same here but this certainly looks like a software problem , not just some settings .

When did it start to do that ?

Was it after an upgrade ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started Thursday or Friday. No it was not after an upgrade
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k , give me a minute please and I will have something for you to try

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

We will do a factory reset but note that you may have to redo your setup like network connection

If that works for you then do this ;

Open the menu and select the Support section of the main menu, and then press ENTER.

Select the Self Diagnosis section of the Support, and then press ENTER.

Select the Reset, and then press ENTER.

Enter the security PIN (default 0000) for your TV.

The reset warning will appear, select Yes and then press ENTER.

Let me know how that goes

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

I understand that it may take a bit of watching before you can confirm if it worked or not so let me know later on

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When will you do the factory reset?
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Me ?

I wont, you will , I just gave you the procedure

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Open the menu and select the Support section of the main menu, and then press ENTER.

Select the Self Diagnosis section of the Support, and then press ENTER.

Select the Reset, and then press ENTER.

Enter the security PIN (default 0000) for your TV.

The reset warning will appear, select Yes and then press ENTER.

Let me know how that goes

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have gone thru the different selections on the TV and do not have a "support" item.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would "trouble shoot & resolve" be the same?
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

can you see system or self diagnosis

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

The info I just gave you is from Samsung and for your model so there must be a support section

Can you give me the items you have in the main menu ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

If you scroll down below what you first see on the screen what do you see in there ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Either in the MENU or TOOLS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Live, Recordings, OnDemand, Interactive, Help, Options
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

you are not in the correct menu , give me a minute please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is only the second time we have used this service. The first was several years ago and it was for the same reason but Different TV. We had to have a tech come out and he fixed it.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

do you have a TOOLS button on the TV's remote , the manual wont even show the remote

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

What you had there was the cable box menu by the way , use the TV MENU

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

TV REMOTE

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

This is how it goes again Menu > Support >Self Diagnosis > Reset and when asked for a password ***** 0000 if you did not set your own already

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the TV remote now but the TV is in a different room will take a minute
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

take your time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am totally lost. I pressed the tools button and now I have a screen that I can't get out of.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

press tools again ?

isn`t there a MENU button as well ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

turn off the tv and back on

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I got it working and I think it is ok now!! Not sure but it seems to be working fine. It said it went back to the factory settings
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I guess not. It is doing it again.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

O.k then and is this tv connected to internet like the smart hub , is that set ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

you just saw my last reply then yes I am

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

is this tv connected to internet like the smart hub , is that set ?

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Right now if that reset did not do it then the only hope would be a firmware upgrade but if the tv is already connected to internet then that upgrade has been done automatically and this would mean a defective main board (80% chances) or a power supply circuit issue (20%)

If not connected to internet already then a firmware upgrade with a USB flash drive could be tried , this upgrade and instruction can be downloaded here , click this link ;

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN55F6400AFXZA-search

This would have to be determined with meters for the 100% certainty.

This main board part # ***** cost some $100 to buy while the power supply is some $80

Let me know and i will help you along if you wish to look into repairing this yourself

This is Plug&Play ,no solder or adjustments and if you or a friend is handy with a screwdriver and can remove the back cover then you can do this yourself, no special tools required.

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know what it is connected to. I cant change channels or any thing now. It has 3 squares with TV & Movies, Apps, and Photos
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

press the INPUT or SOURCE button repeatedly on the TV's remote until it gets back to the cable box

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

You went into the hub and by the look of it its not set as you don't seem to know how to use it

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

That's beside your problem right now anyway

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

I`m going to step out for lunch now and if you have questions about the diagnostic and info I gave you above then I will check on you as soon as I return , otherwise please take the time to rate my answer and as I said it doesn`t close this post anyway ,it just gets me paid for my time so far .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is on HDM1 and I know it should be on HDM2. I have one channel and cant change it. Please help!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will call you in about an hour.
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Your cable box changes the channel now , switch remote

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

As soon as you get a picture , drop the tv`s remote and use the cable box remote

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is fine. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

Much welcome

Expert:  Jack replied 5 months ago.

If you don`t have any more questions for now then please do take the time to rate my answer by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit , this is how I make a living and that rating gets me paid for my time.
and you can come back here at any time after rating for questions or help
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you have questions.
Thanks for understanding .