Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

This year in my motor home my Jensen radio will only light

Customer Question

This year in my motor home my Jensen radio will only light up when you disconnect the main plug and reconnect but when you try to use it fade
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The TV Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It will only light up when you unplug and plug back in . However when you try to use it the display blinks and disappears. No light .then you unplug and replug in the light will come on again but fade
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Jensen radio.

Is this a fresh/new install? ...or has it been in use for some time and this issue just recent?

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Based on your other/duplicate postings, it would appear that the issue is with a Jensen VR187.

Proposed preliminary checks (if have not been done):

• • check that the the yellow wire is connected to an always available +12 source;
  • • and that the the red wire is connected to a switched +12 source;
  • • with the black wire to the ground or - line.

• • verify the presence and consistency of the always available +12 source and the switched +12 source with a volt/multi-meter and an automotive testlight;
  • • and a good ground connection of the black wire likewise to the chassis/frame of the Jensen.

All others would be internal to the Jensen.