Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Model th-42pe7u will not turn on : Just started : Will not

Customer Question

Model th-42pe7u will not turn on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Just started
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Will not come on
JA: Is there anything else important you think the TV Technician should know?
Customer: Came on all of a sudden
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the TV Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Welcome. I am Mike, an experienced field technician. We are now connected together on this convenient website where I am able to help you. To get started, I need to know you can see this message and are able to reply to me here...

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Is the power LED on the front of the tv on or blinking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Please try this:
-disconnect all audio/video wires from the tv.
-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release.
-plug in only the tv power cord and try to turn on.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Are you sure there is power on this outlet, are there other things plugged into this power strip or wall that are working? a lamp or a cable box or...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is power
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

When the tv won't come on and the LED is not on it means there is internal hardware failure that requires parts and service. The back panel needs to come off, checks need to be performed with a meter, then parts ordered and installed. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can assist you further but it is highly complex.

If you are unable or unwilling to perform any of these procedures then a repair shop should be consulted which can cost more than a new 42" tv.

I'm very sorry for the bad news. Remember that I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above.

Before you go please take a moment to submit at least a 3 star rating at the top of this page. Then if you still need help you can reply back and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it be worth replacing the main board where power goes to
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Not worth taking the chance that the power board is actually the problem, unless you want to risk wasting $100-$150. It could also be the board with the audio/video jacks, which is another $150. Without diagnosis with a meter, you have a 50% chance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

you're welcome. please submit a positive rating at the top of this page to show your appreciation.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?