Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

How do I turn off screen saver with out remote control?

Customer Question

How do I turn off screen saver with out remote control? Screen saver turns on every minute or so while watching tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you describe the screensaver that you are seeing? If you press an onboard button (on the tv itself) does the screen go away?
What sources/inputs are you using with the tv?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The screensaver is just pictures flashing up and then alternating
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Please answer each of the specific questions, I need as much detail as possible to be able to help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I press a button on the tv, the screensaver will still be there. I have my xfinity cable box hooked up to my tv with an HDMI cord.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay, and if you press a button on the xfinity box or remote, does the screensaver go away then?

When you change channels?
When you adjust volume?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I press "tv input" on my xfinity remote then the screensaver will go away. Then I can freely adjust the volume and change channels but less than a minute later the screensaver will return.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

What about with pressing other buttons, do they not respond if you press channel or volume on the xfinity remote?

Do you ever have this issue on any other input such as dvd, netflix, etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tv will not stay on input at all. While the screensaver is on , the only buttons that will work on the xfinity remote is volume because I have paired my xfinity remote to control my tv settings as well. Although it is not working
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay, that sounds like the comcast box is the issue, not the tv.

These tvs don't even have a screen saver feature that would come on in this context.

If volume is working, then the tv is fine.

The other functions are not working because the box is having signal output issues. If you have the "x1" box, this type of problem is very common, there are a lot of faulty x1 boxes out there that just don't communicate properly via hdmi.

Try unplugging power to the box for 60 seconds to reboot it.

If that still doesn't help, then you'd contact comcast to have them replace the box for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think it could possibly be because I can't seem to set up the tv remote which is needed to control the tv? Because the xfinity channels will be working and then the screensaver would just come on over but xfinity will still be operating in the background
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

That still sounds like a box issue.

The way to confirm that is by testing some other source, other than the comcast box. You can use built in lg apps like netflix, a dvd player, etc.

If the problem doesn't happen there, it confirms it is a xfinity problem

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I don't think it is a tv issue, and if it were related to the tv remote, you'd see on screen prompts telling you to set up the lg magic remote, or other similar notices, not screensaver photos

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem with testing other built in apps is that the t remote is not connected so I can't click ANYTHING at all on the tv.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have an Logitech harmony remote but the online set up was not working earlier so we can't access any apps built in to the tv. Nor can we change the settings using the remote
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Perhaps not apps, but you could at least test an external input, like dvd for example, you just need to change the input using the input button on the tv

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would testing something suck as a PlayStation work?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes, that would work fine.

You could also just unplug the xfinity hdmi cable from the tv, if the screensaver suddenly stops and doesn't come back, that would also confirm the box is at fault

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope I unplugged the box and the picture is still their. This is an lg ultra tv screensaver so I am sure that the tv must be the problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was showing the screensaver and not moving before a box was even hooked up to it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

You hadn't mentioned seeing LG ultra on the screen before, sorry for the misunderstanding.

It is not possible to access the menu or change any settings without the remote. If you need a new remote, you can get one here: http://amzn.to/1PthvFI

You can also go to the app store on a smartphone/tablet and install the lg tv remote app (assuming you have configured the tv to your home wifi network already) and use that app to control the tv.

From the menu, you are looking for Initial Settings, or Factory Reset, after doing that you'll be prompted to set a Use Mode and you'll pick HOME (not store/retail).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am going to try connecting the tv to wifi and then downloading the app. What is the name of the application?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Well if you haven't done it already, you really can't without the remote.

The tv has to be on wifi already before the app can work. You could however plug the tv into the router directly with an ethernet cable, that doesn't need any special configuration or menu steps.

search for LG Tv Remote, and make sure the app actually says published by LG

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are setting up the remote with the computer right now
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tv is in store Demo mode
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
that is what you need to change. Look in the menu for initial settings and change it there. If it won't let you you'll have to factory reset the tv back to the new defaults and you'll be prompted to choose home or store there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I figured it out
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Great, glad it is working for you again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?